Monday, October 03, 2005

Mollycoddle My Baby

A parent dropped by today to register her daughter who will be in Primary Three next year. Our conversation started off with a brief run through of my teaching methods and this eventually led to the question of discipline. She was also particularly worried about the pressure her daughter would face and the necessity to regulate the amount of homework given out. I, of course, totally agreed with her on the senseless need of homework unless it was to help a student understand what had been taught and only if it could be completed in a reasonable period of time.

Midway through our talk, I was beginning to sense an over-protective mother here when she expressed surprise that I give out monthly pop quizzes to check whether my students were doing any revision on the topics that they had learned. An exercise which is crucial to understanding and information retention was deemed unnecessary by her. Another point which she raised was that children should be encouraged to express their individuality. This, I also agreed to but with the exception that when it borders on being disruptive and uncooperative in class . Sensing that our chat was potentially turning into a debate, I told her that if she felt uncomfortable about my methods, then she had probably come to the wrong teacher.

Luckily for both of us, I think, her mobile rang. Sounded like her husband was checking in on her. Hmmm....what a strange family. And luckily for me again next year's class is already full. So, I told her very politely that if she wanted, I could put her child's name on the waiting list.


If by now, you must be thinking that I am an ogre out to make life hell for children, I don't blame you. But bear with me for a while. I love children and they can be quite adorable when they give you that helpless look which reminds me of my two six-month-old kittens. However, when we forget that they will eventually have to grow up and face the world, we do them more harm than good by keeping them in an artificially secure environment without equipping them with the required skills and wisdom to handle the many challenges that will come their way. Simple problem-solving exercises and slowly moving them on to abstract ones will not only build up their self-confidence but also their ingenuity. I totally abhor parents who simply give in every time their children ask for the answers to their homework. Why not just say, "What do you think is the correct answer?" or "Why do you choose this answer?" By encouraging them to explore and express their opinions, we mould them into future leaders who are capable of intelligent debate. Just take a look at our present batch of MPs arguing out their cases in parliament and you'll know what I mean.

1 comment:

Hong said...

An interesting read. Something to ponder..